Sunday, November 2, 2008

Who is this La Beq person, anyway?

Hi. I'm Beqi. I make stuff. It's what I do and who I am. I decided to start this blog to keep a record of some of the interesting projects I've attacked.

First, though, a little history about me that should explain what kind of stuff I make:

When I was a kid, my mom taught me to sew, crochet, and cook. My dad taught me to use a beading loom and aided and abetted my interest in photography. In middle school and high school, I picked up some basic woodworking skills. When I got to college, I majored in Manufacturing, and therefore learned machining, welding, and casting. Through electives, I learned to throw pots and other ceramics skills, as well as bookbinding (I loved that class so much I took it twice!). During a summer break, a friend of the family taught me to spin. I got interested in lacemaking, and, using books, have taught myself to make bobbin lace. I am also pretty much self-taught in wood turning, using the midi lathe my parents gave me for my birthday a few years ago. They gave it to me so I could make my own bobbins, but I have been branching out a bit, as well.

My basic philosophy is that I can figure out how to make anything that can be made. My ability to actually make what I figure out is limited only by availability of resources. Some items I discuss here, and others I don't, are available for purchase. Projects for my personal use, for family, or for friends, will not be sold, but will still be discussed in this record of just what can be Made By La Beq!

No comments: